3/8/06

A blessing in disguise.

Sometime in life , you feel that god has betrayed you ,but in reality he has given you an experience which you might find handy in tough situations.
I too had some of those experiences. Believe me when you face those tough situations, you seldom think negative and curse yourself, when you come out of the situation and think deep, you think it would rather be a blessing in disguise.

I have faced some situations, but i cant put all of them in words since i am no great writer , but this is one experience i would like to remember.

I have to first speak about my family, we were four in number , me my yonger brother and my parents. My father was running a restaurant which was not doing good business. I used to look after the hotel whenever my father used to rest. We were incurring heavy losses and our debts were mounting. Me and my mother often used to fight with dad to persuade him to close the hotel and go for other options. Poor dad!, all he could do was moan and shout at us, he had very little options , if he had to close the restaurant , he needed to repay the persons who provided provisionary items on credit to us. He never had the amount of money to repay the debts and he could never save money for his kids as well. Our arguments took a heavy toll on him.

Days went on, the business went from bad to worse, so did our grumblings. Dad was also suffering, but this time ,he was suffering from bad health. He had carbuncles all over his body . We persuaded him to see the doctor which he did after a lot of arguments . The end result was that he was diagnosed with diabetes and worse, he had a huge carbuncle in his back which looked life threatening.

I was shattered on hearig this, "first , our business is dull, then my father is sick and he needs to admitted to a hospital then what ", i said to myself. My father was admitted in the royapetah hospital. Where fate took its turn in torturing him. He was placed in the C ward which was known for very poor maintainence . He was made to sleep on the floor as there were not enough beds for all patients. Due to the absence of my dad, i had to run the restaurant all by myself,(my uncle was also with me, he had a major role), the first day went good , but the days that followed it just unwrapped more unpleasant sundries. Chennai was not known for heavy rains. But the days(oct 24-nov11 2003) had some very heavy rains.

Our restaurant business was in shambles the roads were flooded with water. I sat in the cash counter , at that time i must have felt bad,but i felt happy for no reason. I just diverted my mind on the road that was clogged with water. My uncle was enjoying his time talking to people , the businesss had almost frozen as there was not a single person on the road due to heavy rains. I turned my attention at the server's desk. There were a lot of food items still fet to be sold . I smiled at my agony and said to myself"it's all in the game, i will not be disturbed.It was lunch time, i wet to the hospital to meet my dad.The best thing was that apart from the bad business i was enjoying the day seeing people on the road reacting to the rain in thier own peculiar ways.
One person was cursing the rain god , and the other was happy that atleast now it was raining. I realised the moral" One man's food is the other mans poision".This made my mind mature and it released all stress. i spent rest of the days solely on the hope that our misery will come to an end which happened soon.

He was very tired and his back was bleeding as they had operated on the carbuncle. My dad finished his lunch and he turned to me and asked" how is the business". I hesitated to reply , but making my mind happy i said "its going great pa". my dad was taken aback, his face told the story ,he still didn't believe me but he was happy that i had matured enough to understand the situation and not tell him the truth that the businessw was nearly sinking. That lie might have done some good to my fathers morale.

The doctors had first said that my father would have a 50-50 chance of surviving the carbuncle, then i was shocked. My gut feeling said that my father would recover from the illness. However the doctors re-iterated that my father would take atelast 2 years to recover. Dad was very worried as he had no idea on how we will survive until then. I was his only hope. The best thing was that all my long last relatives came to see my father and they also heled our family financially and in other ways.

My dad was dischargged on november 13th 2003, he was physically weak but mentally fresh. He was happy that his short tempered son had managed to run a sick business for 20 long days without losing his temper and also managing to save the sinking morale of his family. I thanked god for saving his life. God made us even more happy , the experience at the hospital made my dad take many a good decision. One was to stop the hotel business and the other was to find a job, which he did . My father recovered from the carbuncle, it took just 2 months to heal, the doctors were suprised to find that their predictions had gone wrng by 80%. They were very happy that my dad had recovered well after having a sugar level of 350 . Today, i still think about my experiences in 2003. I find that it was not a curse but a blessing in disguise. For the follwoing reasons.
1) had my father never got ill, i never would have seen my long last relatives who came together just to help my dad.
2) The amout of respect that my relatives had upon my dad.
3) i also found that i had matured from a short tempered kid to a young man who held his nerve in the toughest of situaions.
4) the best reason is that y dad decided to do away with his sick restaurant business which was eating away our earning and also our much cherished happiness.
5) it taught me that hope and belief in god would help a man cross many diffcult situations.

I know that he reader might not get the hang of the story , but all i want to tell the reader is that when god wants to do some good things he will prepare you by giving tough situations and he reward you. Please hang on while facing tough situations, you never know about the positives it might give.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home