3/10/06

Heaven on earth

It was the 28th of october 2005, i was on the way to my office . It was raining heavily that day.My parents advised me to take leave as the roads were clogged with water. But, i made up my mind that i would go. I knew that this day would be very different from otherdays.

I started to office by riding the cycle. The skies were dark , they looked so dull that the rain clouds resembled a thunder dragon. I went to the railway station to take the train to Kodambakkam , (actually the train travels to Beach station via Kodambakkam). My mind becames restless as i saw that there were very less people. It struck me that the trains might have been cancelled due to heavy rain.My fears became true when i saw that a tree near the track had fallen on the electric wires. I soon realise that my chances of going to office were very bleak.

I waited in the station for about 25 minutes only to hear the announce ment that all trains were cancelled. Most of the people left, but i stayed back with the hope that some train would definitely come. My hope was realised when a train came at 10:30 it was damn crowded. I boarded the last compartment.

The train left , it went through Pallavaram. I could see the surroundings as i was standing near the Entrance .It was a heavenly sight as everywhere there was water. The train stopped near Tirusulam(the station near the airport). We all watched the Tirusulam mountain in which the rain water was flowing from the top , the scene reminded me of some waterfall, the heavy rain had converted the barren mountain into a heavenly waterfall.

The train went via Pazhavanthangal, St.thomas Mount , and Guindy. All the places had the same scenario ,all the cars and scooters were stuck in the flood. I was shocked to see the St.thomas mount sub way filled with water to the brim and a lorry was submerged , (a very rare sight considering that the subway was 18 feet in height and 25 feet in width).

I watched other people in the train, they were relishing the sight like kids , all of them were office goers, they had started the journey fully knowing that their offices would have declared a holiday. They were all right. Finaslly, the train reached Kodambakam, i got down and rang my officeonly to find that my office had declared a holiday.

I ran back to board the next train to Tambaram(via Chrompet) , this tie the train was empty, All along the way , i saw a lot of greenery covered with a sheet of flood water from the heavy rains. It seemed that the rain god had finally blessed our dry city of chennai with rain. This time, the rain had increased to such a level that the whole city was flooded with water.

As the train went via the busy parts of Mambalam, Saidapet and Guindy and the into the Suburbs like St.Thomas Mount, i could see water , water and more water. Never before in my life had i ever seen so much of water in chennai. Well, to some people that day was hell, but to me , the day was Heaven on earth as it was the only time i had smelt the freshness of the soil , seen trees dancing like violent maidens, the clouds threatening to pour even more like a thunder dragon and the carpet of flood spreading across the ever busy city called Chennai.

1 Comments:

At 1:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

BETA if HEAVEN IS ON EARTH WHAT ARE YOU DOIN HERE..........

 

Post a Comment

<< Home