1/27/11

The Dumb Student


“Ram, you have topped the class again. Congratulations!”, said Professor Satya.
Ram, the class topper and Satyamurthy’s favorite student, was standing up, beaming in pride. The class students started clapping while Professor Satya continued, “Class, if you ever desire to prosper in life, be like Ram. In life, studying hard is the only way to come up.”

After a few seconds of applause, the students returned back to their usual silent self because they realized that they had agony in store for them – Professor Satya was about to distribute the exam papers of other students. The very thought of hearing Satya’s sarcastic comments irked each and every one of the class.
Satya started distributing the exam papers. As expected, most of the class had scored average marks. None so worse than Raghu, Satya’s least favorite student, who had failed scoring only 17/100.

Satya turned towards the back row where Raghu was seated.
“Dear students! You know what? Raghu has yet again failed in MATHS.”
Raghu hung his head in shame. Professor Satya continued, “Teaching students like you is a waste of time. This is the second terminal exam that you have failed in Mathematics. If you can’t solve simple problems in Probability and Trigonometry, how will you survive in life? I am not sure you can improve now. MARK my words; you are NOT EVEN GOOD ENOUGH TO EVEN BECOME A CLERK. Oh my god, how am I gonna show cent per cent results in the upcoming public exams. This fellow is gonna spoil my reputation for sure.”

Raghu hung his head in shame. This was the umpteenth time that he had been insulted. Raghu was not a bad student. He had excelled in extra curricular activities like Essay Writing and Quiz competitions, but could never repeat his performance in studies. Satya was harsh on Raghu because he feared that Raghu was an obstacle to the school’s record of scoring 100% results.

During the next annual Parent-Teachers meeting, Satya did his best to convince the principal to exclude Raghu from appearing in the forthcoming HSC exams and was successful. Raghu was dimissed on grounds of consistent poor performance.
Years rolled by. Satya was now accompanying his 20 year old son, who was about to attend a non-campus interview for a lucrative Trainee position in a reputed MNC, Aston Infotech.

Satya’s son entered the building to attend the interview while Satya was waiting in the company’s cafeteria sipping a cup of tea. Suddently, he saw a person calling out his name. He turned around and realized it was none other than his former classmate, Ram.

Ram: “Sir, What a pleasant surprise?”

Satya: “Oh. Ram beta, is it you? I am so happy to see you here. How are you? What are you doing here?”

Ram: “I am fine sir. I work as a Project Manager here. I am very happy to see you. ?”

Satya: “Nice to hear that beta. My son, Rupesh, is here for an interview. He is a BE graduate and has applied for the post of a Trainee Programmer in your company. “

Ram: (Having a look at Rupesh’s resume copy given by Satya) He has a good academic record, if he passes the aptitude test and the second round, I will ensure he gets selected.

(As they were speaking, Rupesh comes)

Rupesh: Dad, I completed the second round. The interview was tough, I’ve done my best. Let’s see.

Satya: Ok son. Let’s go to the Reception and wait there. Maybe they would announce the results soon.

(Satya and Rupesh move to the reception where the interviewer announces the results of folks, who have been shortlisted for the last round. Rupesh finds he has been not shortlisted for the final round)

Rupesh: This is unfair dad. I had done well in the test, yet they failed to shortlist me. This is not fair.

Satya: Cool down son. One of my old students is a Project Manager here, let’s visit him, perhaps he may be able to help.
(Rupesh and Satya go to the receptionist and request an appointment with Ram. The receptionist calls Ram, who asks the receptionist to give the phone to Satya)
Satya (Explains the situation to Ram on the phone): This is what happened, they rejected my son for some reason.

Ram: (After checking Rupesh’s results with the HR team): Sir, I am sorry. We rejected your son because we are looking for Engineering students who have background in Computer Science or Information Technology. Your son has specialized in Electronics and Communication. I am sorry, we used to recruit candidates from all streams and train them, earlier, but now since we have very less training budget, we are focusing only on a certain skillset.

Satya (In a shocked tone): “But beta, my son has a good academic record. Furthermore, he has completed a diploma in Information Technology……..”

Ram: “I am sorry again, I have been given the responsibility of recruiting candidates who have basic level skills in C++, Java and other skills. While your son has done a diploma, he still does posses the required skillset as his test results showed. I cannot afford to recruit a candidate who needs to be trained. It will spoil my training budget and resource utilization. We pride here in 100% billable resources right from second month of training sir. Your son does not fit the bill. Sorry to say this. I have a meeting, will call you later.”

Satya (Mumbling to himself): That ungrateful wretch, I gave special attention and support to him during his schooldays and see how he returns back the favor. Bloody wretch…..
Rupesh: “Appa, what happened?”

Satya: “Ram says he can’t help us. I guess you have to try some other company.” (Walks away in shock)
(Just when Satya and Rupesh are about to leave, they hear a voice calling Satya’s name)

Satya: (Looks behind to see a tall person with a french beard): “Sorry, I am not sure I recognized you. Do we know each other?”
Person A: “Pardon me, but I think I know you. Are you Satya, a teacher, at HSS, Triplicane?”

Satya: “Yes. But how do we know each other.”
Person A: “Well, my brother studied there. You were his class teacher.”
Satya: (Still irritated due to the discussion with Ram): “Err, nice meeting you beta. But I gotta go.”

Person A: “Sorry to disturb you, may I know why youare. Do you want to meet someone?”

Satya (Looks irritated, but still explains how Rupesh attended the interview and got rejected): “I am afraid they rejected my son Rupesh. I gotto go. Now.”

Person A: No problem sir. Please wait for 5 minutes, I may be able to help you. (Picks his mobile and calls the HR department to get Rupesh’s details)

Person A (Speaks to Rupesh and Satya): “Rupesh, you have done very well in the tests. But since you have not specialized in IT, they are not willing to recruit you.”

Satya: “We know…. I am afraid there’s nothing we can do about that.”

Person A: (Smiles) “So Ram rejected your son because he wanted resources, who could show 100% utilization after they complete training…..? Is it so?”

Satya: “Err………… Yes… That ungrateful wretch.”
Person A: “Don’t worry sir. I think I can help him. I am the Manager of Human Resource Management here. We have a special training for candidates who are from the Non-IT background. Perhaps, if your son is willing to undergo this 2 month training with just a marginal stipend, maybe I can help him out.”

Rupesh:” Thank you sir. I agree. Please let me know from when I should attend the training.”
Person A: “Well, I will speak to Mythili, one of my HR team members. She will get back to you tomorrow.”

Satya (Smiles finally): Thank you son…. I am indebted to you.
Satya: “Thanks son. I don’t know who you are, but you have helped us while that ungrateful wretch Ram didn’t even bother.”

Person A: “You must stop blaming Mr.Ram. He was just following what he was taught during his schooldays.”

Satya: “What do you mean?”

Person A: “I am not sure you remember. But ten years before, you had dismissed a student, Raghuveer, stating the reason that he was poor in mathematics. Didn’t you?”

Satya: “Yes, Raghu… I remember. You see he was doing badly in maths. Furthermore, the HSC exams were nearing. I didn’t ant him to fail and stop the class from scoring a cent per cent pass result.”

Person A:
“Precisely. Ram has also done the same. He rejected your son because your son didn’t possess the necessary skill. Morever, Ram saw your son as a threat to the billable utilization of his team. He wasn’t ready to recruit a resource and then train him.

The same was the case with you. You could have taken special efforts to help Raghu, instead you chose to dismiss him.”

Satya: (Feels ashamed and irritated at the same time): “Nonsense, how do you know? Raghu was useless, he would not have done better had he been retained. I pity that guy, he was good for nothing. Why are you so concerned about Raghu?”

Person A: “Well, unfortunately, your attitude hasn’t changed much. Raghu happens to be in a key position in this company. So be careful with your words.

Satya: “Raghu?????? Key position…. (Laughs for a few seconds) That idiot was not good enough to do simple sums in probability and statistics, how can he be in a big position in the MNC. Ha ha”


Person A:
(Irritated to the core)Yes, Raghu, the same useless fellow, is here at ASTON INFOTECH. Infact, your son’s fate would be decided by Raghu. So, be careful with your words.

Satya (Mumbling to himself): “Hmm, I thought Raghu would never pass.. What an Irony? I now need to respect to him.”


Person A:
Ok, I got to go now. Here’s my visiting card. Ask Rupesh to meet me tomorrow at 10 AM sharp. Here’s my card.

(Person A Leaves)

Satya (Laughs): Rupesh, look at the irony. Ram, one of my best students and Raghu, one of the dumbest students, are in the same company. Wonder how Raghu got into Aston??? Must be by recommendation.

Rupesh: I am not sure appa. Because I think Raghu is actually Raghuveer, the Senior Manager of HR, here. I heard during the interview that he was one of the most respected employees at Aston Infotech.

Satya: Naaah, can’t be him. Raghu failed in mathematics. He would have never made it big, that too in a company like this…… That must be some other Raghu….
“You ARE NOT EVEN GOOD ENOUGH TO BECOME A CLERK”, Satya remembered those scornful words to Raghu. The next day, Rupesh attends the final round and comes home dejected, with a letter addressed to Satya.

Satya: “What happened?”

Rupesh: “I don’t know. I did well in the third round. Everything seemed to go fine til the person whom we spoke yesterday, entered the room.”

Satya:
“Why? What did he say?”

Rupesh: “He handed this letter to me and asked me to give it to you. He said I was rejected and he had mentioned the reason in the paper.”

Satya: What the helll???? (Opens the letter and reads) Dear Sir,This is Raghu, the useless brat from XII C, 2001 batch. Many years ago, I was struggling with my studies, foolishly hoping that you would help me to improve. But instead of helping you, you devoted most of your time in humiliating me, viewing me as a pest, and finallly dismissing me from school. You called me dumb and not fit enough even to become a clerk. However, thankfully god had other plans and I was GOOD ENOUGH TO BECOME A SENIOR HR MANAGER of a REPUTED COMPANY. After many years, I saw you yesterday. Even despite my previous bitter experiences, I truly wanted to help your son and still want to. But after speaking to you yesterday, I feel you are right, “The end does justify the means.” I was initially thinking of recruiting your son after he completed the company-sponsored training. However, after yesterday’s discussion, I feel that I should not compromise by recruiting your son as he is not good enough to BECOME EVEN A TRAINEE PROGRAMMER at ASTON INFOTECH Take care and thanks for the enlighment.
Yours disobediently,
Raghuveer L

Satya’s eyes were almost in tears. He realized that his earlier follies may have cost his son a good job. Suddenly, he sees Rupesh change his expression from disappointment to a childish smile.
Satya looks at the mail again. There are still a few lines below the signature of Raghu veer.

P.S: I know that you would have been cursing me by now. I just wanted to write this mail to show how disappointed I was with you. I have not rejected your son. He has been selected as a Trainee Programmer. Ask him to be join soon.
BTW…. please be kind to dumb students, you never know when they come in handy.

After reading the letter, Satya smiled……. The DUMB STUDENT had made a wise decision

3 Comments:

At 1:49 PM, Blogger mahesh said...

Raghu's story sounds so much like mine:)

As you sow, so you reap!

Brilliant stuff Ashwin :)

 
At 12:58 PM, Anonymous presssix said...

Nice Blog

 
At 5:28 PM, Blogger priyanka said...

it is really a great and influencing story indeed. in life there are so many ways to move, yes education is very important for all of us but that doesn't mean that you have to be genius only in study some extra curricular activities are also there by which one can earn reputation than education. never ignore or harsh people who are poor in studies rather encourage them to take care of them in the proper way. this story will give a lesson to those teachers who avoids their students who are poor in studies.
Web development Company India

 

Post a Comment

<< Home