8/14/08

Beijing Olympics: Finally an Indian wins gold- But What Next????




Finally, our Rifle Shooter, Abhinav Bindra, won a gold medal for our country breaking the 108-year-old Gold medal drought. On August 11th, Abhinav Bindra held his nerve against his Finnish and Chinese opponents, Alin George Moldoveanu and Zhu Qinan, to win the gold. By winning the gold medal, he became the first Indian to win Gold in an individual event. He has indeed made us proud.

I have to say sorry to my readers for missing out Abhinav in my last post, which listed my guess for our medal hopes. It was purely due to lack of knowledge.

As for the Indian contingent, they still need to prove a point; after all, one gold medal is never going to be enough to prove our athletic prowess. Apart from Abhinav, I was sad for the other athletes such as Saina (Badminton), Samresh Jung(10m Rifle), Bajranglal Takhar (Rowing), and Anup Sridha(Badminton). I was very much disappointed when our ace shooter Rajvardhan Singh Rathore failed to qualify, I felt sad. Guess the pressure of a billion people is weighing down too heavily on our athletes.


Well, there is some hope left, Leander Paes and Mahesh Bhupathi have advanced to the quarters, they have a tough task in hand, I am pinning some hopes on them because it may be their last Olympics and I am sure that they would want to end it with glory. I would just wish that they play for the gold and not for the bronze. I believe that they are still the best doubles players in the Mens circuit in Tennis. “Come on Guys, Gun for the Gold, Let our happiness increase manifold”.
Apart from tennis, our Indian Boxers, Jitender Singh, Vijender, and Dinesh Kumar are currently on a winning run.




Plus we still have the long jump, 200mtrs, 400mtrs, triple jump, and other athletic events. As of now, I am betting on Anju Bobby George for bringing as a medal, but I would be happy if somebody else pulls off one for us too.

I am personally disappointed to see that we are going overboard for just winning one gold medal. Yes! I am very happy for Abhinav Bindra. It’s true that he brought us glory, but with nearly 40 more days to go, India still needs a lot of medals to really hog the limelight.
We need to prove that we do have world-class athletes, for that to be done, we need more Gold, certainly more than 4. On the eve of our 61st Independence Day, I wish our athletes all the best and my message would be “Go for the Gold, winning is everything, give your 100% and leave the rest to the almighty, we will be with you! Bring us Glory, bring us GOLD”.



Jai Hind! Let the following days bring us even more glory!!!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 10:29 PM, Blogger prasanna venkatesh said...

Well, this is indeed a good start for India ! Lets hope the medals continue to flow in ! :-)

 
At 5:50 PM, Blogger Aswin Kini said...

Only 2 have flowed in ever since :(, guess atleast now, our IOA starts taking some serious steps towards improving our infrastructure.

 
At 1:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beta, hope next time we meet Abinav Bindra, we will ask him to make you the target practice. Dude, please dont mind it, we will give him the GOLD

 
At 12:30 PM, Blogger Aswin Kini said...

Thanks Did, I'd happily be the target if he win's yet another gold medal. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home